You may have heard or read about LEDs (light emitting diodes), but how can they benefit your home?
LED lights have become more commonly used in homes as they provide numerous advantages over the traditional incandescent and halogen lights. Many LEDs have a rated life of up to 50,000 hours which is approximately 50 times longer than your typical incandescent bulb, 20-25 times longer than the average halogen bulb, and 8-10 times longer than the typical CFL. When used for 12 hours a day, an LED light can last for more than 11 years.
To help you understand why LED lights are becoming more commonly used, we have provided some of the advantages of utilising LED lighting in the home or your property:
- Long Life - Many LED's have a rated life of up to 50,000 hours. This is approximately 50 times longer than a typical incandescent, 20-25 times longer than a typical halogen, and 8-10 times longer than a typical CFL. Used 12 hours a day, an LED will last more than 11 years
- Energy Efficiency - Today's most efficient way of illumination and lighting, with an estimated energy efficiency of 80%-90%. This means that 80-90%% of the electrical energy is converted to light, while 10-20% is lost and converted into other forms of energy such as heat. This is compared to traditional incandescent light bulbs with an estimated energy efficiency of only 20% meaning 80% of the electricity is lost as heat
- Ecologically Friendly - LED lights are free of toxic chemicals. Most conventional fluorescent lighting bulbs contain a multitude of materials like mercury that are dangerous for the environment. LED lights contain no toxic materials and are 100% recyclable, and will help you to reduce your carbon footprint by up to a third. The long operational life span mentioned above means also that one LED light bulb can save material and production of 25 incandescent light bulbs. A big step towards a greener future!
- UV Emissions - LED illumination produces little infrared light and close to no UV emissions. Because of this, LED lighting is highly suitable not only for goods and materials that are sensitive to heat due to the benefit of little radiated heat emission but also for illumination of UV sensitive objects or materials such as in museums, art galleries or archeological sites, etc...
- Design Flexibility - LED's can be combined in any shape to produce highly efficient illumination. Individual LED's can be dimmed, resulting in dynamic control of light, colour, and distribution. Well-designed LED illumination systems can achieve fantastic lighting effects, not only for the eye but also for the mood and the mind: LED mood illumination is already being used in aeroplanes, classrooms, and many more locations and we can expect to see a lot more LED mood illumination in our daily lives within the next few years
- Light Dispersement - LED is designed to focus its light and can be directed to a specific location without the use of an external reflector, achieving a higher application efficiency than conventional lighting. Well-designed LED illumination systems are able to deliver light more efficiently to the desired location.
- Instant Lighting and Frequent Switching - LED illumination lights up instantly when powered on, which has great advantages for infrastructure projects such as traffic and signal lights. Also, LED lights can be switched off and on frequently without affecting the LED's lifetime or light emission. In contrast, traditional lighting may take up to 2 minutes to reach full brightness, and frequent on/off switching does drastically reduce operational life expectancy
- Low-Voltage - A low-voltage power supply is sufficient for LED illumination. This makes it easy to use LED lighting in outdoor settings, leisure centres, swimming pools and underwater.
Contact Us for LED Light Installation
If you're planning on switching your current lights with a new LED lighting system then our experienced domestic and commercial electricians can help you. Please feel free to get in touch with us to discuss your lighting requirements or to arrange a quotation from our experienced electricians.
You can call us on 01283 808432 or you can send us an email through our contact form.